Panel Pets

Ask a Vet: My Cat Ate String — What Ought to I Do?

Table of Contents

Some time again I wrote a submit on Dogster about an unlucky incident involving my canine pal Buster, some blades of grass and a dangler (or, as I referred to as it, a dingleberry). I described intimately the trials and tribulations of making an attempt to extract grass blades from the anus of a prancing canine. A touch upon the submit caught my eye and it’s particularly related proper now with all of the strings, ribbons, tinsel and different lengthy, shiny objects that people use to deck the halls and wrap vacation presents. Cherry writes concerning the time her cat ate string:

I had the same downside besides it was with my cat and a string she had eaten. It was dangling out of her butt and I needed to pull it out. LOL!

A hairless cat with a ball of string yarn.

A hairless cat with a ball of string. Pictures by Dan Kosmayer / Shutterstock.

Cats and string — an iconic pairing that really doesn’t combine

It appears like issues labored out nicely for Cherry’s cat, and I’m very glad about that. Nonetheless, there’s a huge distinction between just a few blades of grass that had been identified to be only some inches lengthy, and a string that might be any size in any respect.

The picture of a kitten enjoying with a ball of yarn is engrained within the collective psyche. I don’t know that Regular Rockwell ever painted it, however it might shock me if he hadn’t.

Cat ate string? First, let’s speak about what sort of string

Sadly, it seems that yarn could be very harmful for cats. So is string. And dental floss, fishing line, Christmas tinsel, Easter grass, ribbon, and any related lengthy, thread-like merchandise. These things, when ingested by cats or kittens, have the potential to result in a life-threatening situation referred to as gastrointestinal obstruction on account of linear overseas physique. The situation is each bit as scary as its title implies.

What occurs in case your cat eats string:

A gray and white kitten with string.

Cat ate string? Right here’s precisely what occurs. Pictures by SilverV/Thinkstock.

Linear (thread-like) objects wreak havoc when one finish of the merchandise turns into snagged or anchored someplace within the physique. A standard place for this to occur is underneath the tongue — the linear merchandise can change into wrapped, and thus anchored, across the base of the tongue after which swallowed.

Nonetheless, the tongue just isn’t the one place the place linear objects can snag. If any portion of a linear merchandise turns into anchored wherever within the gastrointestinal tract, issues can happen. The intestines will attempt to work the linear merchandise via and in direction of the anus. But when the merchandise is anchored, it might probably’t be moved. As an alternative, the intestines transfer themselves, and pure intestinal motility causes the intestines to change into bunched up. This bunching leads could result in life-threatening blockage of the intestines that requires surgical procedure or endoscopy to appropriate.

Because the intestines bunch, strain positioned on them by the overseas physique or by the bunching itself could trigger perforations within the intestinal partitions. Skinny, sturdy overseas our bodies even have the potential to instantly lacerate the intestines. Intestinal contents (together with a great deal of micro organism) can then leak via the perforations and lacerations, resulting in sepsis and dying.

What to do in case your cat ate string:

Due to this threat, feline entry to string, yarn, string, and different linear objects ought to be completely denied. Nonetheless, it isn’t a foregone conclusion cat will get into bother each time it eats string. If the merchandise makes it via the intestines with out anchoring, it might move into the stool. That’s the place Cherry’s state of affairs turns into related to this dialogue.

Typically a small portion of a really lengthy piece of thread or string will protrude from a cat’s anus. In such circumstances, pulling on the string can have catastrophic penalties. If the string is lengthy sufficient, traction on it might probably trigger lacerations or critical injury to the partitions of any portion of the gastrointestinal tract with which it’s in touch.

Due to this fact, if you happen to discover your cat with a dangling string, my suggestion is to very fastidiously minimize the string close to the anus. Monitor the cat fastidiously till all the factor comes out. If any uncommon signs happen — particularly vomiting, lack of urge for food or lethargy — or when you have any doubts concerning the state of affairs, search quick veterinary consideration.

It’s typically protected to softly extract a linear merchandise from the anus if (as within the case of Buster’s grass blades) you understand it’s quick, and you know the way to do it correctly. However when you have any doubts, don’t pull. Minimize as an alternative.

This piece was initially revealed in 2017.

Thumbnail: Pictures by Tibanna79 / Shutterstock.

Inform us: Has your cat ever ate string? What kind of string was it and what occurred?

Learn extra about cats and well being on Catster.com:

Author

  • Adam Johanson is an animal lover and a blogger at Panelpets. He writes regularly regarding pets and how to take care of them, as well as general news stories about animals. When he isn't writing, Adam can usually be found playing with his two dogs or cuddling his cat.